The First Hebrew Congregation and Community Center of Salinas was founded in December, 1935 by a small group of individuals dedicated to Judaism.

The first synagogue of the congregation was completed in 1941, financed by private contributions. The Religious School, which began with ten students, soon outgrew the available space and often spilled into people’s homes. During World War II and for a few years thereafter, Chaplain Hertz of Fort Ord served the congregation as religious leader.In 1949, Rabbi Seymour Stem became the first Rabbi of our synagogue. Rabbi Abraham Haselkorn took over the rabbinic duties in 1953, and served until his retirement in 1973. He and his wife Alda, who directed the religious school, made an invaluable contribution to the synagogue and the Salinas community. In 1963, a new building was completed on the comer of Blanco Road and Riker Street, the current home of the congregation, and the name was changed to Temple Beth El.

We are honored to have Rabbi Marcy Delbick leading our Congregation. Rabbi Delbick studied at the Academy for Jewish Religion, and was ordained in 2009. She and her husband Paul, and two sons Ezra and Ben, now make their home in this area.

She was preceded by Rabbi Michael Howald, Rabbi William A. Greenebaum II, Rabbi Frank Stern, and Rabbi Bruce Kadden who had served from 1984 – 2004.